If you would like to leave a note for Rebekah do the following:
1) Select the word "comments" at the end of any posting.
 2) Leave your comment and include your name.
3) Under "choose an identity" select "Anonymous" if you do not have a google account .
4) select "Publish your comment"
Your comments will be reviewed for content and then approved. Your message will be connected to the posting you select.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The following was from one of Rebekah's emails to parents.

Hey guys,

I hope that you are all doing well. I want to tell you about dinner last night. The whole AED headquarters office here went out to dinner last night. It was a very nice and funky restaurant and huge portions; I didn’t even finish half of mine. I ordered chicken cordon bleu, and it was less than $10 US. I cannot seem to understand the rhyme or reason to prices here, most things are about the same price in equivalent US $, but some things are significantly cheaper. Overall it was a very nice dinner, about 18 people and it all got paid for. It was nice to be able to ‘talk’ to the staff. I have only stayed in Rundu about half the time since we’re traveled to many conferences around the country. I was hoping to see Victoria Falls this month but it may not be until March now. There are a number of conferences I need to attend this month so it is making hard to get enough free time to drive to the falls. I’m going to trying schedule some time to go the first week of March.

While I’m enjoying being in Windhoek, I am really missing Bonga’s dinners. I’ve told Derek about them. Bonga makes this amazing somewhat sweet sauce called “soup.” It typically has sautéed onions, green papers and carrots, sometimes cabbage, and then she adds a liquid to it, red/orange in color. I’ve tried to ask her what it is but all she says is ‘vegetables.’ I offer to help almost every night, since she has to make dinner every night, but she uses this time for herself to unwind. She did tell me that she would teach me to make it before I leave. Whenever I ask what she’s making for dinner she often replies “soup and rice” with a smile and a chuckle. It’s funny because Maria is not a fan of it, but since Bonga likes rice and soup, and I like rice and soup that’s what she often chooses to make (when we have the ingredients). I miss her meals when we are traveling to conferences, and if I had it my way I would have rice and soup for dinner every night. However, since I won’t be back to Rundu for another 8 days, I will have to be patient and wait to enjoy it until then.

(haha I just opened my HIST term paper that I started, and it is just as long as this e-mail…… it needs to be at least 20 pages, clearly I have my work cut out! Ek!)

Take care all.

1 comment:

  1. That actually sounds very similar to one of my roommate's staple dishes..."soup and rice" not chicken cordon bleu.

    ReplyDelete